Sunday 7 August 2011

God Bless America!

So, we were talking yesterday what America has going for it, what Dr X misses when she comes to England, what Dr Norton and the rest of us miss about England, and so forth. I'm 'into' America right now. I love the sense of space you get here, the self-assuredness of the people, the flag-flying and general patriotic, homespun knick-knacking that you find on every porch.
Patrotic homespun knick-knackery.
I love that everything is made out of wood - just because there's so much of it available. There's a solidity and permanence to American furniture, that makes our veneered cabinets look flimsy in comparison. Mind you, our brick houses look a little more solid than their wooden houses. I love the midwest climate: proper cold in winter and proper hot in summer - none of your constant dampness and drizzle and you can pretty much always see the sky! I love the taste and texture of corn and that cinnamon is widely used in baking. I love this nifty little conversation starter they have, whereby you can change the topic and introduce your little anecdote by beginning with, 'So...' How handy! So handy, I began this blog entry with it.

On the other hand, I would kill for a cup of tea right now! I'm having to get all my tea-fixes via iced tea, which is good... but not quite what I'm craving. I'm also not so hot about the gun laws here: I just don't get that. Plus, the whole 'the car is king' thing: I'm not so mad about that. I'm also a little homesick for sweets that aren't laced with artificial colourings. Ultimately, I'm enjoying my little love-affair with America and Americana, but I couldn't quite live here: not until I find somewhere that sells dairy-free, soy-free margarine, anyway.

Oh - and the things Dr X misses about the USA when she travels to England? Her capacious and quick-cycle washing machine (it is a thing of beauty, I'm telling you!), her efficient gas dryer (another marvel) and corn-based foods. Dr Norton misses family and someone to help him with car-projects, and marmite and salad cream. When Mr Ruby comes here, he misses the BBC and football - especially Brentford. You can get football here, of course, but it's called 'soccer' and there's no Brentford.

2 comments:

  1. Living in UK I miss my lovely State-Side family...especially Blondie whose laugh is adorable!
    When in the States I miss the British TV...I can never find anything worth watching over there...I can't go too long with out a great BBC Period Drama. I agree too about the sweets...well chocolate really, you just can't beat a bit of Cabury's. But I too love the way of life over there...people do seem more friendly & open...but I'm a Town gal, so the wide open spaces would freak me out after awhile. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOCCER IS FOR AMERICAN WUSSIES. THIS FROM A COUNTRY WHO USES THEIR HANDS FOR FOOTBALL!

    FOOTBALL IS JUST THAT.... A GAME WITH A BALL MAINLY USING FEET.

    Soccer... grrrr.

    ReplyDelete