Sunday 14 August 2011

The Opposite of Canada

Excuse the brief update: more detail - and pictures - when I have time and a more reliable internet connection.

We're staying in South Dakota, at the Laura Ingalls Homestead. If you've read 'By the Shores of Silver Lake', 'The Long Winter' or 'Little Town on the Prairie' (and if you haven't, get thee to a library!) you'll know what I mean when I say that we are camping right on Charles Ingalls' claim site. If you've no idea what I'm talking about, just take it from me that I am beside myself with joy!

Anyway, we are camping right next to a very warm and friendly family from Canada. They are taking a grand tour - starting near the Pacific coast in British Columbia, they worked their way across southern Canada to Prince Edward Island (a shout-out to all the Anne of Green Gables fans, there). Then they went down as far south as northern Kentucky and are working their way back home, via the northern American states. They will have been gone from home for 7 weeks in total. There are ten of them (two parents, eight children ranging from age 18 years to 18 months), all travelling in a minibus and towing a modest-sized caravan ('trailer' as they call it). That's why I've named them, 'The Opposite of Canada,' as they are a lot of people crammed into a small space.

We do seem to have been blessed in meeting with some very friendly people while on our travels. Last night we shared a campfire with them and cooked our dinner and more s'mores. Yep - Canadians like them too.

Off to the town of DeSmet in a minute, to see the house the Ingalls eventually moved to in town. Mr Ruby's getting a little Laura-ed-out, I think.

1 comment:

  1. This is Mr Ruby's reward for taking you to classic car shows!

    ReplyDelete